Graphic Design and Data Visualization Intern
Data Driven Detroit (D3)
Data Driven Detroit (D3), a data center with a mission to provide high-quality information and analysis that drives informed decision-making, seeks a part-time Communications Intern. D3’s work supports public, nonprofit, and philanthropic organizations engaged in human services, education, health, employment, and community development policy and programs. A critical element of D3’s mission is building a community data warehouse of comprehensive, reliable, relevant information.
D3 is looking for a graphic design and data visualization intern with strong Adobe Creative Suite skills, who can assist the Communications Manager in the development of a D3 Brand Book and further refinement of the D3 brand.
Specific responsibilities of the intern include working with the Communications Manager to:
- Further refine the D3 brand in consultation with the Communications Manager and D3 staff.
- Design potential templates for documents, maps, infographics and visualizations.
- Incorporate templates into a Brand Book that firmly establishes Data Driven Detroit’s identity and explains the D3 brand so that it is accessible to non-designers.
- Bachelor’s degree or college level classes in graphic design.
- Adobe Creative Suite: Advanced Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat & InDesign skills.
- Microsoft Office: Advanced Word skills. Intermediate Excel skills.
- Portfolio work that includes logo design.
- Portfolio work related to identity, marketing, branding etc.
- Portfolio work that includes a Brand Book.
- Interest or experience in research, data analysis or statistics.
- Interest or experience in ArcGIS mapping software.
- Interest or experience in Microsoft Access, MySQL, Google Fusion tables or other database programs
Intern position - Unpaid
Hours: 15 – 35 hours/ week; scheduling flexible, between 8am and 6pm, Tuesday - Friday. Willing to work with you around work and class schedules.
Start Date: Immediate
Interested persons should send a zip file to firstname.lastname@example.org containing: a cover letter, relevant examples of work, and resume. File size should not exceed 15 MB. Please include “Communications Intern” in the subject line of your email.
City Connect Detroit, the incubating organization that houses Data Driven Detroit, and Data Driven Detroit are equal opportunity employers. Women, minorities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.